Movie Review: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1

Here I go again, reviewing a popular movie that comes from a book. Yes, I love The Hunger Games trilogy (the books). And the first two movies, especially the second one (well, it was biased since I love the second book as well). Another reason why I like the movies is unlike the other franchise which choose the actresses/actors recklessly and way of the characters from the book, Hunger Games made a terrific casting choice and of course, the actors did their job wonderfully. That's me, speaking of The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. It's gonna be,well, a little bit different about Mockingjay.

To be honest, Mockingjay is my least favorite book from this trilogy (same goes for Harry Potter and The Order of Phoenix and The Two Towers) although, they are still my favorite series after all. But, seeing how Catching Fire wonderfully turned into a movie, I set my expectation very high on Mockingjay. I imagine actions per actions that the book said. And even better, when I saw the news that Effie Trinket will be back (replacing Fulvia Cardew from the book), and Natalie Dormer was cast as  Cressida. But the most delighting news is that Julianne Moore casted as President Alma Coin. Those news only, made me so excited on what will the movie bring.



So, the promotional posters looks very convincing and all. But. But well, let me explain it one by one.
  1. The first one would be President Alma Coin. Suzanne Collins' description of her was a little bit different, or maybe too different from the one on the movie. In the movie she looks like as if she was a good woman, who just happened lose her family at the war with the Capitol, and make her somewhat, vulnerable. And not to mention that motherly vibe that comes from her when she said Katniss wouldn't be strong enough to visit 12. No, in the book, she was a cold-blooded psychopath who is afraid of losing her seat as a leader (not much different from Snow). I wonder how will they change her character for the second part. President Alma Coin from the movie is too kind, yes, we've seen a couple of ruthless action from her (like, what? Wait, I can't even find one). Well, Julianne Moore was fantastic. I can see that she gave her all to become Coin. But her Coin and the book's Coin was too different.
  2. The second one would be Natalie Dormer's Cressida. I can't find the exact words on this movie character. Again, too different from the book. The one on the movie was too stiff, doesn't even look smart, leave the "genius" part that the book said. She doesn't seem to control her crew. They're just well, happened to be assigned as one team so they go. But then again, maybe I set my hope too high on Cressida. I imagine that she would be more fierce, more demanding. She looks fierce alright (who didn't with her half-shaved hair and that tattoos), but maybe Dormer was too focused on covering her English accent that it looks so weird seeing her talk.
  3. The third one is my favorite! I'm glad they didn't wipe Effie out. She was my favorite! And of course, even though her favorite clothes and make-up and wigs are all gone in the Capitol, at least she still got her wits. I really like when she confidently said that there aren't one that knows Katniss better than she is. That's the spirit. That's how to keep the audiences on their seats.
So that's about the characters that I feel a little bit odd (or wonderful in Effie's case), now unto the movie itself.

I set my expectation too high on this movie. TOO HIGH.

They can just made one movie, why bother making two if the quality was this bad.

My friend once said this: 
"When you watch the movie, don't read the book. And when you read the book, don't watch the movie"
That didn't happen. I always watch the movie after I read the book. Just to compare. But yes, there are so many times that I do facepalm on the theater. That happened too on Mockingjay.

"Not all parts on the book are movie material."
That's by me (ha). Well, it is the reality that we need to face. Mockingjay trying really hard to turn all parts on the book into a movie. That's how you ruined a movie. And for the book reader as well, it is not enjoyable. It's too boring, too long. Again, one movie with the essential parts from the book would be enough. But why make three movies when you can make four? Welcome to Hollywood. 

Just see that three points that I made up there. But that wouldn't be fair if I didn't take on how wonderful Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson are. While Liam Hemsworth is, well, camera ready indeed (agreed on this one, Effie!). But Finnick Odair is sane enough (the book describe him as mentally unstable, so I imagine that Sam Claflin would talk to himself or maybe stripping all the time, ahem). 




It is really too bad that Gale didn't get that much attention from the scriptwriter. I feel that he can utilize to much more. I want to pity the movie Gale as much as I pity the book Gale. His unrequited love to Katniss can be developed so much more.

But there are a couple (only one) scene that really moved me to (almost) tearing up. The one that took place on the District 8's hospital. Not the aftermath, well that too will be my second favorite, but the one where Katniss was asked about the baby, and will she joins them. That's utterly cool! But Katniss' reaction when knowing that the hospital was the target wasn't quiet right. Too empty, too emotionless. What happened Jen? It seems to me that she puts up the emotion always at the wrong scenes, and that she didn't allowed to play as crazy as Katniss.

So then, let's wait patiently for the second part and let's hoping that the agony wouldn't be that bad when watching the second part. 

I'll only give 6.0/10.0 for Mockingjay. You disappoint me, filmmaker!

Comments

  1. Good review Belinda. Though I liked it for the most part, I still can't help but feel incredibly disappointed by how abrupt its ending was.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts