Traveling Blog: Floating Market Khlong Lad Mayom

Hi everyone! I've been on several places on 2017 after Europe. But these places was nothing new, although all of it were spectacular! Such as Bromo and Jogja. But this post won't talk about those trips. Instead, I'm going to talk about Bangkok trip (7-11 December 2017), specifically Floating Market Khlong Lad Mayom.

I'm sure some of you has been to Bangkok. And I'm sure that all of you aware that Bangkok is heaven for foodies. On this trip, my itinerary was the-usual-places in Bangkok. I went to Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Wat Arun and Siam for the first day. The second day I went to Chatcuchak, then Platinum Mall for shopping. The third day was a little bit different. I've been to Bangkok several times, and have been to only one floating market, Amphawa Floating Market on 2015. It's such a disappointment, and I made a promise to myself to make it up for it. So the time has come. 

Before the trip I've been browsing around about best Floating Market in Bangkok (or near Bangkok). Some of them located far away from the city, we need to rent a car for a day, and that is not good for budget traveler. As much as I love the city, I hated the transportation scams. You really have to be careful on jumping on a taxi, ask the fare fairly before you agree on a trip with taxis. I've found several floating market, but most of them are already bustling with tourists. I am a traveler as well, but a place that bustling with tourists is not good. Then I've read about Khlong Lad Mayom.

Picture from google

It is said that this market is not really a floating market, but a riverside market. But, this is a place that local goes on the weekend. Yes, the market was only opened on the weekend (Saturday and Sunday), and I went there on Sunday. So I searched on tripadvisor about this place. Surprisingly, not many reviews are there in tripadvisor. But the existing reviews cited that this is a good place to eat like a local. And there is also a boat tour if you want to explore the river. And I've decided to visit this place since I love to eat!

From the city centre you can ride BTS to Bang Wa BTS station (Silom Line) and take a taxi there. Don't worry, there are a lot of taxi, and they want to use meter from Bang Wa to Khlong Lat Mayom. Also when you're done in Khlong Lad Mayom, you can ride a taxi back to Bang Wa station.

So here's about the market. It is really a heaven for foodies. You can try any Thai foods here. They have seafood, pad thai, fried chicken, noodles, Thai tea, and a lot more. Of course the seller don't speak English or any other languages than Thai. But worry not, you can just point at something, and the price is quiet cheap too. They usually have picture of the food with the price printed. I won't talk about the food, since I'm not a food expert I just love to eat. Haha. Let's just talk about the place.


This market was located at a riverside. Some of the vendors cook their food on a boat. So technically, this market is not a floating market. And if you want to feel like a local, ride a boat, go on tour. The tour has two routes. Route A went to a traditional house of Thailand, Route B went to another floating market (this time real floating market) and orchid farm. I went for B course, and feel disappointed yet again. Since I went there to late (1pm), the real floating market was already closed, no more boat food stalls there.


Also, the orchid farm was not good, I think because the season hasn't come for the orchids to bloom. But at least, I can enjoy riding a long tail boat. One round trip cost 100 baht for foreigners, and 60 baht for local.
The Orchid Farm

Long tail boat
Long tail boat

Useful tip: Go early, the earlier the better. When I arrived was already late so there are a lot of food stalls that closed, and not to mention that the place was very hot. 


Another useful trip: Use a lot of sunblock. Wear comfortable clothes (preferably shorts and shirt) and comfortable shoes/sandals. Bring a big bag if you want to shop. Not shopping for goods, but for fruits and foods.

Also, the market is really crowded. Be careful with your belongings!

The way to catch a woman's heart is through food. So this market has catched my heart and I definitely will be going back later. Next time maybe earlier.

Maps to Khlong Lat Mayom: klik here.

Comments

Popular Posts