Book review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

So after an insightful post before, I decide to give a new try, reviewing books! 

     Yes, I've been a book lovers since I don't even know when. I especially like books that well-written, and got the strong characters as the hero or heroins. So I don't even mind if the setting was just so typical, or the character is just ordinary. I am also a movie lovers. Movie is just like reading a book with the characters popping out from the books.

     Here I talk about The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I know it's kinda late since this book was first published in 1997. But hey, in that year I was still busy running and playing around with y 7 years old friends :D So when I heard about the movie adapted from this book (with Ezra Miller, Logan Lerman and Emma Watson in it!)



















 I started to search for this book, which is kinda hard since in Jakarta there aren't so many bookstore that sell complete collection of imported books, and I barely get it, read it within 3 days, and satisfied with it.



     What makes me excited and satisfied with this book? Let me explain it to you.
First, the main protagonist is a wallflower, an unpopular high school students, who is a genius, loves to read books and write, in love with his beautiful senior, and importantly typical teenagers.
Wait, when I say he's a typical teenagers, I mean it! And no, it's not boring at all since I bet everybody went or going to high school in their life. 

     Second, Charlie here is a junior, nervous about high school, but get to enjoy it for the rest of his high school years. Isn't it what we all going through? Always feeling nervous for our first step on high school, since high school is like a symbol of us entering an adulthood.

     Third, Charlie, like any other teenagers, feeling love and be loved. Love, that what makes every literature perfect. He fell in love with Sam, which he pictured a very beautiful lady with green eyes and long brown hair.

     Fourth, it's just perfect how Chbosky wrote it in the epistolatory format. He wrote it as if Charlie is writing a diary. The way he wrote makes me understand how Charlie feel, what did he see, what did he hear, and how do people around him acted and treated him.

      Through this book, Chbosky elaborate all people's adolescence. He perfectly pictured a teenager life in everyone's life (apart from the twist at the end, which I can't really tell since it's a big part and I'm gonna be a spoiler and everyone hates a spoiler). He pictured Charlie perfectly as a regular student, with all of teens problems, and how he handles it. Oh and I love how Chbosky told about how Charlie feels infinite! You should read the book! 


This is my first book review, please don't be mean :)

-RB-

Comments

Popular Posts