James Bond: Skyfall

Well, I'm not a real big fan of James Bond franchise. The first James Bond's movie I've ever watched is Die Another Day. I barely remember the plot. Only remembering the gadgets and fancy cars, and of course the pretty ladies. A flamboyant agent, with sexy British accent, killing people while giving his killer smile, that sort of what can pictures James Bond. I've never know that he was born and raised in Scotland, never before Skyfall. Either I'm ignorant or like I said, I was never a big fan of James Bond's franchise. I prefer Ethan Hunt's Mission Impossible or Bruce Wayne's Batman. 


But, Skyfall is indeed one of the best movie in 2012, according to my opinion. It's the second movie I've watched for three times, the first one is The Dark Knight. I like the story, and how the director pictured the relationship between M and Bond. More to mother-and-son than employer-and-employee. Although it seems impossible to get back from the death after get shot and get drowned, but hey, he's James Bond! He's back with a hot chick sleeping beside him, and get back on having fun and drinking liquor.
Well, let's just get on to the characters one by one or two by two (?) :D



Not forget to mention how genius Javier Bardem is. He played a perfect villain, just wonderful. Sam Mendes puts the right portion on every characters at 2,5 hours movie, thought it may lacking something like how do Silva plotting his escape, how did he killed the guards, and why the hell do people outside his prisoner door didn't even know when he's escaping. Silva is a genius, he can hack everything, Mendes should have explore it more. And does he really gay, or he's a bi (remember Severine)? The audiences wants to know more about this genius villain, the only thing we can get is that he's an ex-agent who got a grandmother who has an island. And he bit the cyanide pill but he didn't die (I wonder why).
how come this

become this??

Q! I love Q! He's like a freshman, but well he's outstanding! Ben Whishaw nailed it for sure. I can't wait to see him in Cloud Atlas, and I still remember how he slaughtered a dozen girls in Perfume. This kid is no kidding ( he's much more older than me though). He needs longer part though, maybe cyber battle with Silva? Or maybe just drinking tea with Bond would be super fine to my eyes. 


Severine is real pretty though and she can stay longer in the movie or not at all. She's just another pretty face to show the world that this James Bond is like the James Bond we have ever known, a playboy, a womanizer. Her part is not that important either, but that I will forgive since she's super pretty. But I can't forgive how she died, she died too easy for an expert con-artist or maybe Silva is just too scary and too cold-blooded, I don't know which one. The other pretty girl is Eve Moneypenny. She's too sexy to be only the secretary, jsut saying, she deserves to be the Bond girl though, but Severine outshines her. That's how I know she's not the Bond girl  :D


Judi Dench's M is finally died, I thought that she's gonna live forever, not that I hate her. She's a very very likable old woman. But an old woman, ruling MI6, it's just not human. She leave a deep impression though. And yay! Ralph Fiennes as M! Another big franchise since Harry Potter, congratulations for the new make up, Voldy! Finally you got your nose back! No, that is not a sarcasm, I really like him and I'm happy I can get to see him again in a good-man suit. I should say that he's a good actor, since his play on Red Dragon (since this was the first movie I've watched with him in it). I almost laugh when I watched how he become more inferior than Helen McCrory, though he's her boss in Harry Potter, he can't even stop her from blabbering to M! Lol.


So this is basically a personal statement of Bond, and shows how the old ways are much more better than fancy cars and guns. Traditional way still can be sexy like Aston Martin DB5 yet deadly like how the knife on Silva's back. 


If I could rate this movie I would rate 8/10 for the story, 9/10 for the action scenes (guns are missing from here somehow), 7/10 for the music (Thanks to the wonderful soundtrack from Adele, but it still lose from The Dark Knight), 9/10 for the actors and actresses (Nuff said), overall would be 8/10, I don't give it higher score, since they destroyed that beautiful house and beautiful car!

Comments

  1. After Quantum of Solace, I thought this franchise was starting to die down a bit but thankfully, Skyfall brings it back with a look and style that harkens back to the old days, but also shoves some new things in there as well. Good review Belinda.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts